- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Incremental Learning, Clustering, Classification
- E-education, Digital Learning
- 2D and 3D Gesture Recognition
- Pen-based Interaction
- Fuzzy logic, Evolving Fuzzy Classifiers
- On-line Handwriting Recognition: Isolated Character, Symbol, Word and Sentence Recognition
- On-line Hand-drawn Structured Document Recognition, Drawing Recognition.
Current PhD students
- Simon Corbillé, supervised in collaboration with Elisa Fromont (UR1).
Topic: “Transparent” and “Deep Learning” AI approach coupling for automated analysis of student handwritten productions in the context of education.
- Clément Leroy, supervised in collaboration with Nathalie Girard (UR1).
Topic: Incremental learning and evolutive recognition system: for on-the-fly handwritten symbols and gestures recognition
- Arnaud LODS, supervised in collaboration with Sébastien Macé CIFRE founding – Learn&Go society
Topic: On-line analysis of handwritten arithmetic operation on digital tablet: Design of an innovative educational solution to improve learning arithmetic calculations in elementary school
- Omar KRICHEN, supervised in collaboration with Nathalie Girard (UR1)
Topic: Real-time interpretation of geometrical sketches production for e-feedback generation in digital learning.
Former PhD students
- Yacine BOULAHIA, (received his PHD in 2018)
supervised in collaboration with Richard Kulpa (UR1))
Topic: « Transversal approach for the analysis and recognition of 2D and 3D gestures »
- Zhao Xin CHEN, (received his PHD in 2017)
supervised in collaboration with Prof. C. Viard-Gaudin (Univ. of Nantes)
Topic: Recognition and interpretation of structured documents with multi-touch interactions
- Manuel BOUILLON (received his PHD in 2016)
Topic: Incremental Learning and forgetting Of Evolving Fuzzy Inference Systems
- PeiYu Li
Topic: Interactive gestural commands
- Achraf GHORBEL [received his PHD in 2012, Insa/Projet ANR Mobiskecth]
Topic: Interactive Interpretation of handwritten sketches
- Adrien DELAYE (received his PHD in 2011)
Topic: Méta-modèles de positionnement spatial pour la reconnaissance de tracés manuscrits.
- Abdulla ALMAKSOUR (received his PHD in 2011)
Topic: Incremental Learning Of Evolving Fuzzy Inference Systems: Application To Handwritten Gesture Recognition.
- Francois BOUTERUCHE (received his PHD in 2009)
Topic: Fuzzy Point of View Combination for Contextual Shape Recognition: Application to On-line Graphic Gesture Recognition
- Sébastien MACE (received his PHD in 2008)
Topic: Modeling of syntaxical and structural knowledge for the incremental composition of on-line hand-drawn structured documents
- Harold MOUCHERE (received his PHD in 2007)
Topic: Studies of Writer Style Adaptation and Reject Option for classifier optimization: Application to On-line Handwriting Recognition
- Solen QUINIOU (received her PHD in 2007)
Topic: Statistical Language Models for On-line Handwritten Sentence Recognition
- Laetitia ROUSSEAU (received her PHD in 2007)
Topic: Off-line handwriting recognition by recovering the drawing order
- Sabine CARBONNEL (received her PHD in 2005)
Topic: Statistical Language Models for On-line Handwritten Word Recognition
- Nicolas RAGOT (received his PHD in 2003)
Topic: MÉLIDIS: Pattern recognition by intrinsic/discriminant dual modeling based on a hierarchical organization of fuzzy inference systems
A couple of former and on-going research project
- Script&Labs/ANR joint Laboratory (LabCom): On-line handwriting and drawing recognition and interpretation for active Learning in e- education (2017-2021)
- Actif: Active Learning and Collaboration with Tablet Computer, Interactions and Feedbacks
(e-Fran – National Innovative BPI Project) (2017-2020)
- eFil: e-Feedback for Interactive Lecture – Labex CominLabs project (2017-2019)
The aim of eFIL project is to go beyond ‘classical’ active learning methods to improve learning in higher education using and evaluating a new digital learning environment on KASSIS software.
- IntuiScript: Scientific leadership of the IntuiScript Project (2015-2018); National Innovative BPI Project;
Conception of a digital workbook to help teachers and children during the handwriting learning process at school by using tablet and tactile digital devices;
- Evolve :Leadership of the Evolve Project (FEDER – SATT / 2012-2014) : Incremental learning and evolving fuzzy classifiers to design adaptive and customizable graphical gesture or symbol recognition.
European and US Patents on “Evolve Touch” technology – N° 2995704 / 14/429,649;
- MobiSketch: Leadership of the ANR project MobiSketch (http://mobisketch.irisa.fr/); ends in 2013.
Interactive document analysis of complex handwritten documents (diagrams, sketches, architectural plans, historical documents, etc.).
National and International Research Collaborations
- Member of the board of GRCE: Groupe de Recherche en Communication Ecrite (french-speaking association on handwriting recognition and document analysis)
- Member of steering committee of LOUSTIC Laboratory
- Program chair of IGS 2015 and ICFHR 2010
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue:
- IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems (THMS): « Drawing and Handwriting Processing for User-Centered Systems »
- On Frontiers in Handwriting Processing of the Pattern Recognition Letters Journal.
- Member of organization committee of IWFHR 2006, JIM 2010
- Member of Program committees of: ICPR, ICDAR, ICFHR, IGS …
- Reviewer of International Journals: IEEE Pami, PR, PRL, IJDAR, IJIG, THMS…