I am a full professor at Université de Rennes 1 France, since 2017 and a Junior member of the Institut Universitaire de France (IUF) (2019-2024).
I work at IRISA research institute in the INRIA LACODAM ("Large Scale Collaborative Data Mining") team.
From 2008 until 2017, I was associate professor at Université Jean Monnet in Saint-Etienne, France. I worked at the Hubert Curien research institute in the Data Intelligence team.
I received my Research Habilitation (HDR) in December 2015 from the University of Saint-Etienne.
From 2006 until 2008 I was a postdoctoral researcher in the Machine Learning group of the Katholieke Universteit Leuven, Belgium.
I received my PhD in December 2005 from Université de Rennes 1.
Research domains :
- Interpretability of data mining/machine learning models and decisions
We are looking for post docs on this subject!
- Machine Learning for fraud and anomaly detection (mainly in time series)
- Outdoor scene analysis with deep learning (problems related to the fusion of multimodal data, domain selection, domain adaptation, class imbalance, ...)
Multimodal object detection by Heng Zhang for ATERMES inc.
A re-aligned version of the FLIR dataset can be downloaded from here.
MIVAO system from Bluecime inc.
improved by Kevin Bascol (IDA 2018, ICIP 2019)
Results by Damien Fourure on the Cityscape dataset
for BMVC 2017 (Gridnet)
- Graph Mining for object tracking in videos (with RAG), celular automata analysis and image classification (with grids)
Some of the results/datasets obtained/used in this project are available HERE.
- Inductive Databases
- Inductive Logic Programming
- H2020 ICT-48 TAILOR "Foundations of Trustworthy AI - Integrating Reasoning, Learning and Optimization" (2020-2023): member (within Inria)
- Inria Project Lab (now "Défis Inria") HyAIAI "Hybrid Approaches for Interpretable Artificial Intelligence" (2019-2023): coordinator
- FUI project MIVAO "Montagne Innovante, Vision et Apprentissage par Ordinateur" (2017-2020): member
- ANR project LIVES "Learning with Interacting Views" (2015-2019): member until 2017
- ANR project SoLSTiCe "Similarity of locally structured data in computer vision" (2014-2018): coordinator until 2017 (then member)
- EU FP7 PASCAL2 European Network of Excellence (2008-2013): member
- ANR project SATTIC "Strings and Trees for Thumbnail Images Classification" (2008-2011): member
- ANR project Bingo 2 "Knowledge Discovery For and By Inductive Queries in post-genomic applications" (2008-2011): member
- EU/IST: Project IQ: Inductive Queries for Mining Patterns and Models (2005-2008): member (post-doc)
(NB: when a "main supervisor" is indicated, my role is very modest)
- Abderaouf Nassim Amalou (PhD, UR1/Projet) 2020-? on machine learning for timing estimation (with Isabelle Puaut).
- Antonin Voyez (PhD, CIFRE Enedis) 2020-? on privacy-preserving power consumption time-series publishing (with Tristan Allard and Gildas Avoine).
- Samuel Felton (PhD, UR1) 2019-? on deep learning for end-to-end visual servoing (with Eric Marchand).
- Simon Corbillé (PhD, UR1) 2019-? on explainable deep learning-based methods for children handwriting analysis in education (with Eric Anquetil).
- Camille-Sovanneary Gauthier (PhD, CIFRE Vuitton) 2019-? on session-aware recommender systems (the main supervisor is Romaric Gaudel).
- Gregory Martin (PhD, CIFRE PSA) 2019-? on data mining to optimize a free-floating car sharing service (with Alexandre Termier and Laurence Rozé).
- Heng Zhang (PhD, CIFRE Atermès) 2018-? on deep learning on multimodal data for the supervision of sensitive sites (with Sébastien Lefèvre).
- Yichang Wang (PhD, CSC) 2018-? on interpretable shapelets for anomaly detection in time series (with Rémi Emonet, Romain Tavenard and Simon Malinowski).
- Erwan Bourrand (PhD, CIFRE Advisor_SLA) 2018-2020 (not finished) on interactive data mining for analysis of performance issues in networks (the main supervisor is Luis Galárraga with Alexandre Termier).
- Kevin Bascol (PhD, CIFRE Bluecime) 2016-2019 on deep learning for danger detection in ski-lift videos (with Rémi Emonet).
- Guillaume Metzler (PhD, CIFRE Blitz) 2016-2019 on fraud detection in highly imbalanced data (with Marc Sebban and Amaury Habrard).
- Romain Deville (PhD, ANR) 2014-2018 on spatiotemporal grid mining for image classification and cellular automata analysis (with Christine Solnon and Baptiste Jeudy).
- Damien Fourure (PhD, UJM), 2014-2017 on semantic scene labeling with deep learning (with Christian Wolf, Rémi Emonet and Alain Tremeau).
- Fabien Diot (PhD, CIFRE Alcatel-Lucent) 2011-2014 on graph mining for object tracking in videos (with François Jacquenet and Baptiste Jeudy).
- Hoang-Tung Tran (PhD, USTH), 2010-2014 on pattern mining to generate visual features for automatic tag correction in videos (with François Jacquenet and Baptiste Jeudy).
- Taygun Kekec (PhD, UJM), 2013-2014 (not finished) on semantic scene labeling with deep learning.
- Post-docs: Neetu Kushwaha (2020-?); Kevin Bascol(2020), Emmanuel Roux (2018-2019); Adriana Prado (2010)
- Master 2: Samuel Felton (INSA 2019), Gregory Martin (INSA 2018), Kevin Bascol (WI 2016), Yimei Liu (WI/TSE 2015), Romain Deville (INSA, 2014), Imtiaz Ziko (CIMET 2014), Shihong Zhang (CIMET 2013), Adrien Martins (WI 2012), Basura Fernando (CIMET 2011), Fabien Diot (WI 2010).
- Master 1: Mansor Gueye (ENSAI 2020), Muaz Twaty (MLDM 2018), Loic Mosser et Etienne Menager (ENS mechatronic, 2018), Devang Kulshreshtha (Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi), Emin Avci (MLDM, 2016), Dawood Al Chanti (MLDM 2015), Oriel Frigo (CIMET 2012), Michaël Perrot (WI 2012), Basura Fernando (CIMET 2010), Mathias Gybels (WI 2010), Floriant Ballas (WI 2009), Christopher Grand (WI 2009).
- Co-Program chair of CAP 2020
- General chair of ECML/PKDD 2019 (The European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases)
- Journal track chair of ECML/PKDD 2018
- Co-Demo chair of ECML/PKDD 2016
- Co-Program chair and local organizer of IDA 2015
- Co-Proceedings chair of ECML/PKDD 2014
- Poster and Video Chair of IDA 2014
- Co-Local organizer of CAP 2014
- Co-Publicity Chair of ECML/PKDD 2013
- Co-chair of the "Teaching Machine Learning" workshop at ICML 2012
- Co-chair of the workshop "Bases de données inductives", AFIA 2007
- 2020- ?: Elected (college A) at the scientific council of Université de Rennes 1.
- 2019: Member of an Hcéres evaluation committee.
- 2019-?: Member of the executive board of the CominLabs LABEX for the "Data, IA and Robotics" scientific axis.
- 2019- ?: Elected at the scientific council of the Société Savante Francophone d'Apprentissage Machine.
- 2019- ?: Nominated at the CNRS INS2I ("INstitut des Sciences de l'Information et de leurs Interactions") scientific council (CSI).
- 2018- ?: Nominated at the scientific council of the "Fondation Blaise Pascal" (dedicated to scientific mediation).
- 2018: Member of an ANR (CE 23) evaluation committee.
- 2017- ?: Elected (college A) at IRISA research institute (Rennes) council.
- Dec 2017-Jan 2018: Working group (in Paris) initiated by ALLISTENE about a Research Infrastructure for AI in France.
It was proposed in the "Villani report" under the name GENIAL (Grand Equipement National pour l’Intelligence Artificielle).
- 2016-2017: Chair of the scientific culture for Saint-Etienne University.
- 2013 - 2015: Elected (college C) at the scientific council of Saint-Etienne University.
- 2014 - 2015: Member of the editorial board of Saint-Etienne University publications (PUSE).
- 2010 - 2015: Elected (college B) at Hubert Curien research institute (St-Etienne) council.
PhD and HDR Jurys:
- 2021: Ian Jeantet, Rennes (committee member), Luca Erculian, Trento (reviewer); Corentin Lonjarret, Lyon (committee member).
- 2020: Julien Tissier, Saint-Etienne, 4/05 (committee member, president); Quentin Debard, 29/05, Lyon (reviewer); Mickael Chen, Paris 2/07 (committee member, president); Oriane Simeoni, 10/09 Rennes (committee member, president); Yesmina Jaafra, 11/09 Strasbourg (committee member); Arnaud Abreu, 1/10 Strasbourg (reviewer); Lucas Foulon, 16/10, Lyon (committee member, president); Léo Maczyta, 25/11 Rennes (committee member); Iba Alqasir, 17/12, Saint-Etienne (committee member); Sara Si-moussi, Montpellier (committee member).
(HDR) Gwénolé Lecorvé, 18/11, Lannion (committee member); Romain Tavenard, 4/12, Rennes (committee member).
- 2019: Kevin Bascol, Saint-Etienne 16/12 (co-supervisor); Ziyu GUO, Marseille 5/11 (committee member); Jordan Frery, Saint-Etienne 26/09 (committee member, president); Guillaume Metzler, Saint-Etienne 25/09 (co-supervisor); Julien Salotti, Lyon 24/09 (reviewer); Xuhong Li, Compiègne (committee member, president) 10/99; Michele Linardi, Paris (committee member) 21/08; Pauline Luc, Grenoble (committee member, president) 25/06, Diogo Luvizon, Cergy (reviewer) 8/04; Zaruhi Alaverdyan, Lyon (committee member, president) 18/01.
- 2018: Jean Ogier, Paris (reviewer) le 20/12; Maxime Chabert, Lyon (committee member, president) 18/12; Wissam Siblini, Nantes (committee member, president) 23/11; Michaël Blot, Paris (committee member, president) 19/11; Nicolas Audebert, Paris (committee member, president) 17/10; Hoang Viet Tuan Nguyen, Annecy (reviewer) 10/10; Soufiane Belharbi, Rouen le 06/07 (reviewer); Romain Deville, Lyon 30/05 (co-supervisor); Bastien Moysset, Lyon, 28/05 (reviewer); Géraud Le Falher, Lille, 16/04 (committee member).
- 2017: Quentin Bateux, Rennes, 12/02 (committee member, president); Ouadie Gharroudi, Lyon, 21/12 (committee member, president); Damien Fourure, Saint-Etienne 12/12 (co-supervisor); Van-Tinh Tran, Lyon, 11/07 (committee member); Pauline Wauquier, Lille, 29/05 (committee member); Maxime Gasse, Lyon 13/01 (committee member).
- 2016: Binod Bhattarai, Caen 16/12 (reviewer); Michaël Perrot, Saint-Etienne 13/12(committee member).
- 2015: Thomas Janssens, Leuven (Belgium) 20/11 (reviewer); Behrooz Omidvar-Tehrani, Grenoble 06/11 (committee member).
- 2014: Hoang-Tung Tran, Saint-Etienne 17/07 (co-supervisor); Fabien Diot, Saint-Etienne 3/06 (co-supervisor); Jean-Philippe Peyrache, Saint-Etienne 11/07 (committee member).
- 2013: Winn Voravuthikunchai, Caen 11/12 (committee member), Amani Boumaiza, Nancy 20/05 (committee member).
- Adriana Prado, Antwerpen (Belgium) 14/12/2009 (committee member).
PhD Committees ("Comité de suivi individuel doctoral" (CSID)): Etienne Meunier (Rennes); Manal HAMZAOUI (Vannes) 8/06/20; Soumaya Msaad (Rennes) les 16/06/2020 et 12/06/2019; Luca Veyrin (Lyon) 26/05/20; Solène Tarride (Rennes) 14/05/2020; Loïck Bonniot (Rennes) 12/05/2020; Arthur Clavière (Toulouse); Vincent Le Guen (Paris) 09/09/2020, 30/11/2019; Benjamin Deguerre (Rouen) 06/2020, 11/06/2019; Xavier Rolland (Rennes) les 20/05/2020, 27/05/2019; Christophe Genevey-Metat (Rennes) les 12/05/2020, 3/06/2019; Victor Connes (Nantes) les 7/06/19 et 28/05/20; Raphael Gauthier (Rennes) 12/09/2019, 10/07/2018; Ian Jantet (Rennes) les 18/05/2019 et 5/07/2018, Titouan Vayer (Vannes) les 13/06/2019, 11/06/2018; Julien Tissier, Jordan Fréry, Carlos Arango, Dennis Diefenbach (Saint-Etienne) 12/07/2017, Jean-Jacques Ponciano (Saint-Etienne) 17/05 2017, Tuan Nguyen (Annecy) 21/06/2017, Maxime CHABERT (Lyon) les 11/04/2017 et 2/06/2017, 29/05/2018, Mohamed Ali Hammal (Lyon) 30/04/2017 et 30/05/2018, Yann Dauxais (Rennes) le 21/10/2016, Jérémie Sublime (Paris) les 14/11/2014 et 20/10/2015.
- 2020-? Member of the Guest Editorial Board of Data Mining journal (DMKD)
- Member of the Guest Editorial Board for the ECMLPKDD special issue of Machine Learning Journal (MLJ) and
Data Mining Journals (DMKD) (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
Editor in 2018.
- Senior PC of ECMLPKDD ("European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases") in 2020.
PC member of ECMLPKDD '18, '17, '16, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08.
- PC member of WACV (IEEE’s and the PAMI-TC’s "Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision") 2021
- PC member of AAAI ("AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence") 2021, 2020
- Reviews for BMVC ("The British Machine Vision Conference") 2020
- PC member of KDD ("ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining") '20, '19, '16 & '15.
- Senior PC of IDA ("Intelligent Data Analysis") in 2020, '18.
PC member of IDA '17,'16,'14 '13,'12,'10.
- reviews for ICAE ("Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering") 2019, 2020
- PC member of NIPS ("Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems") 2016
- PC member of CVPR ("IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition.") 2015
- PC member of ICDM 2014 ("IEEE International Conference on Data Mining")
- reviews for TIP ("IEEE Transactions on Image Processing") (2014 et 2016)
- reviews for TMM ("IEEE Transactions on Multimedia") (2014)
- PC member of IJCAI 2016 ("International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence") & IJCAI 2013 (senior reviewer)
- PC member of ICDE 2013 ("IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering")
- regular reviews for PAAA (" Pattern Analysis and Applications Journal ") (2011 et 2012)
- regular reviews for TKDE ("IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering")
- regular reviews for DKE ("Data & Knowledge Engineering")
- regular reviews for KAIS ("Knowledge and Information Systems")
- PC member of ICPRAM '11, '12 ("International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods").
- PC member of ASONAM '10 et '12 ("International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining")
- PC member of LML Workshop 2013 ("Languages for Data Mining and Machine Learning")
- PC member of SIAM DM '09, 10 ("SIAM International Conference on Data Mining")