What is MUESLI?
MUESLI is a free numerical and graphical library, written mainly in Fortran 95 and developped
since 2003 by Édouard Canot.
For a first introduction, see the
The available release is numbered 2.9.0 and dated 2014-02-21.
BLAS / LAPACK
must be available on the target machine. The following versions (older ones may or
may not work) are recommended:
- it is intended to work under Linux systems. Contrary to the past, only
four Fortran 95 compilers are supported:
Please use the whole linux archive.
- FSF g95 compiler. Versions 0.92 (Jun 2009), 0.93 (Aug 2010) and 0.94 (Jan 2013)
all work well; they can be found here. The g95 compiler can be used also to work under a 64-bit OS
(e.g. x86_64 architecture), but be aware to use a version of g95 which defaults to
32-bit integer (32 bit D.I.).
- GNU gfortran, version ≥ 4.4 (version numbers 4.4 to 4.9 are ok)
- INTEL ifort, version ≥ 9 (version numbers 9 to 14 are ok)
- SUN f95 (actually Oracle Solaris Studio 12), versions 12.2 or 12.3 (previous ones not tested)
- for a Windows system, MUESLI is restricted to the numerical part and is intended
to be compiled under
MinGW; please use the following links (sources for FML part only):
Note: refer to this Windows page providing binary
files for MinGW (32- or 64bit).
- MUESLI needs also a C and a C++ compiler. GCC works well but a version ≥ 4.4
is required (this applies for both the Linux and the MinGW versions). INTEL and
Solaris Studio actually constitute compiler suites, which provide their own C and C++ compilers.
They can be get here.
Caution: versions 3.2.0 and 3.4.0 lead to either run-time error or wrong results in MUESLI.
- 3.3.1 (Apr 18, 2011),
- 3.4.2 (Sep 25, 2012) or
- 3.5.0 (Nov 16, 2013).
Preferably, the user should fix the bug number 144 (see
hold for both 3.4.2 and 3.5.0.
The Installation Guide and the
Reference Manual can also be downloaded.
- 2014-02-21: Small fix for improved configure and Makefiles.
- 2014-02-18: Release of the 2.9.0 version. 'show_backtrace' is available
for GCC version greater than 4.4 ; therefore, GCC-4.3 support has been
- 2014-02-05: Release of the 2.8.6 version. Few bugs fixed, especially in
'msPColor' (print in EPS is good now). 'msContour' has been improved,
(labelling contours works now better) but its API has been modified.
New routine 'mfCheckPerm' can be used to check whether a permutation
vector is valid.
- 2013-10-27: Release of the 2.8.5 version. mf/msEigs now accept the following
options for the eigenvalues selection: 'LA', 'SA', 'BE', 'LR', SR', 'LI,
'SI'. Analogously, mf/msSVDs accept 'BE'. The muesli_trace() becomes
msMuesliTrace(). Fix important bug in mfDiag() about the 'symm' tag for
- 2013-10-09: Release of the 2.8.4 version. Muesli uses now
the `new generation' version of Arpack (few eigenvalues/vectors of a big
matrix), instead of the old original package (1996, patched 2002);
it gives a more stable behavior, especially when using Simply Fortran
(Approximatrix) under Windows. Fix also of a long waiting bug in the
'muesli-config' script for ubuntu-13.04: linking with the shared version
of zlib cannot build successfully any executable that use only FML (and
- 2013-10-02: Release of the 2.8.3 version. Improvements in the configure
script. Few bugs fixed in the FGL part. 'msSaveAscii()' now writes numbers
having an exponent larger than 100 under a standard way, i.e. with the
"E" letter in front of the exponent. OPEN64 free fortran 90 compiler is
no longer supported.
- 2013-08-20: Release of the 2.8.2 version. Random numbers are now generated via
the RngStreams library, so that the generated numbers should be the same
whatever the compiler used. Light modification of the API of the ODE/DAE
solvers (t_span is a column vector; y_0 is a row vector). The DAE solver
is now able to stop with two new conditions (Emergency Stop and End Condition),
both must be set in the 'resid' routine (see the Reference Manual).
SuiteSparse updated to version 4.2.1.
- 2013-07-07: Updated binaries of Muesli-FML for use with Simply Fortran
(Approximatrix) under Windows are available here.
- 2013-07-05: Release of the 2.8.0 version: fix bug about the update of the
internal structure properties of the mfArrays (TRIL,TRIU,SYMM,POSD) during
operations on matrices. Better configure script for recent ubuntu distros.
Muesli Binary File format (MBF) update to 2.4, in order to store all the
matrix property inside the file (compatibility with 2.3 is ok); Matlab
mex files have been updated accordingly. NONE support in image read/write
(NONE means no color, i.e. transparency).
- older news can be found here.
For any question, please contact the author:
mail Édouard Canot
Come back to the author web page.
Last page modification: 2014-02-21